Happy Earth Day Everyone!
I recently discovered Skoy after searching for a cleaner and more earth friendly alternative to traditional sponges. Read more on my review on them below or head over to my Instagram page and stay tuned for a giveaway of all the items I reviewed.
Are regular sponges really worse than these man-made wood derived alternatives? According to microbiologist, Dr. Markus Egert in a New York Times article I came across, he writes:
“Tools that soak less water, dry faster, have smaller inner surfaces might indeed be better for regular cleaning.”
I would say Skoy cloths definitely absorb more water than any sponge or paper towel/ regular towel I have ever used in my life in the kitchen; and, they are ridiculously easy to squeeze and dry impressively fast! They feel quite nice, comfortable and squishy in my hands. After having used these dish cloths, I can say I will never purchase a traditional sponge again. It is versatile, easy to clean/use and guilt free when comes time to dispose of! Their scrubbers have been so easy to use and I love that it’s made from 100% recycled polyester. They are much easier to clean than the green scrubbers you probably have in your kitchen or on the back side of your yellow sponges. The things that get stuck on them upon scrubbing, are so much easier to clean off; you just simply rub the sponge against itself and the yucky food particle come right off.
As I continue to seek out more eco-friendly sponge alternatives, I came across Skoy with their nearly perfect rating on Amazon! A sponge hybrid dish cloth if you will, made from wood pulp? I was intrigued. I was curious and excited when Skoy sent me their dish cloths, towels, scrubbers and holder for review.
What are Skoy Cloths?
Skoy Cloths are made from natural cotton and wood-based cellulose pulp. Yes, this is a cloth derived from wood! This sponge alternative is dishwasher, machine washashable/dryer safe and biodegradable/compostable!
I M A G I N E T H A T !
The Skoy Cloth was created by Michelle Lundqvist and Karen Petersen in efforts to reduce the use of the tons of paper towel rolls that were being used after researching how some 2.5 million tons end up in landfills, annually. Their children had just started elementary school and they found the perfect time to start Skoy. You can read more about where their inspiration for these dish cloths were created here.
All their products are packaged in the USA using The Arc of San Diego – an organization that employs people with disabilities. They strive to find the most responsible ways to develop and implement an integrated environmental recycling and disposal facility, taking into consideration even the use of energy and water. Their production by-products are purified and recycled as far as possible within the process. You can read more about their detailed dedication in being as economical as possible on their website.
What makes Skoy Cloths stand out from traditional sponges:
--> Dries quickly, making it a less likely breeding ground for bacteria
-> Made from natural cotton and wood-based cellulose pulp
-> Microwavable (they recommend for it to be wet first on their website)
-> Machine Washable and Dryer Safe
-> They are biodegradable
-> Their creation process was inspired to be as economical and best for the earth as possible
-> Super absorbent: can replace 15 rolls of paper towels in an average home!
-> Chlorine-free, unbleached, and non-GMO product using water-based colors and inks
-> Durable and easy to sanitize- can last months!
-> Made in Germany
What makes Skoy Scrubs stand out from traditional scrubbers (those wirey looking ones or the green part you see on sponges):
-> Reusable scrub made in Poland from cotton and a food grade non-toxic hardener
-> Food scrapings don’t get stuck to it as easily and it had been much easier to clean by rubbing the sides together- no place for the food particles to really get stuck in
-> Seem much gentler on my pan which out scraping the bottom, yet gets the stuck food particles off
What makes Skoy Towels stand out from traditional towels:
> It’s a great size, 18x 24inches!
-> They are super absorbent and dry quickly
-> I have yet to see them wrinkled yet!
-> Streak free and lint free
-> They save the use of many paper towels
-> Made of 100% recycled polyester out of ends of dish rags that may typically be tossed out
-> Super soft and does not stick to hands like traditional microfiber
-> Easily sanitized in the washer and dryer
SKOY PRODUCTS IN USE!
• They come in bright and bold colors to brighten up any dish cleaning routine! They also have more subtle designs with more neutral colors, if bright colors aren’t your cup of tea.
• Love them for cleaning my Kids Basix Safe Snackers and why they are one of my favorite eco-friendly item at home. • Machine washable and dryable! I thought that was amazing!!
• These scrubbers work great for scrubbing leftover food particles stuck on your pan. It’s much easier to clean than the green part that you may normally use to scrub (in which the stuff stuck on there is almost impossible to get clean)
• There are numerous ways to dry them. Skoy sells a dish cloth holder that is very simple to use. No tools are required. Its just a peel off magnet that you adhere to anywhere in the sink and another piece that holds the cloth or scrubber that sticks to the magnet. This design is so clever and makes it easy to remove from your sink and easy to clean. No suctions that gets moldy.
• Sometimes, I use the Skoy Towel to dry off fruits and veggies before cutting them up to serve or cook with them. This towel is like a softer version of microfiber that feels so nice in your hands, except its not linty and doesnt static cling and stuck in your hands. I need to order more sets,as I find my self using it to dry my hands and pots and pans as well because of how well they absorb. I especially love how it doesn’t pill or collect lint.
Have you ever tried dish cloths before? For earth day, Skoy is giving away one set of their dish cloths and scrubbers to one of my followers! Please head over to Instagram to participate in the Earth Day Giveaway.
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Disclaimer: Hopscotch Mom is a proud participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I love Amazon and love sharing all things that inspire. By purchasing through my affiliate link(s), you are actually helping to support Hopscotch Mom! Thanks for all your support!
Original post by Yvonne Wang-Silonga.